12 May 2013

thoughts on momma's day.

it's mother's day, which means that everyone in the world is professing their love and appreciation for the mothers in their life.  sure, lots of people may gripe and say it's an invented holiday to sell cards and flowers, but who cares?  there's nothing wrong with taking a day to honor all the moms around us.  mothers can be very under-appreciated people in my opinion.  but i think that i have more mothers than most people in their life.  every has a mother, but not everyone has a step-mother, or a mother-in-law, or a step-mother-in-law, or a godmother they consider their second mother.  but i have all five, of course.  what a lucky lady i am :] 

i have a parade of inspirational women around me in different mothering roles.  from my mom, who has given me the greatest example in the world of unconditional love and acceptance, who flies out to visit me when i am sad during the middle of the week [ok, it was just once, but still it was pretty epically amazing of her], who laughs and cries with me constantly.  she's my best girlfriend in the world.  i was given my godmother, who has always been so amazing as to love me as her own, and steps in as my mom when my own mom is far away, and who i have more in common with i realize as i grow older.  i always appreciate my step-mother, who never jumped right in to a marriage that came with two adult kids, and has been a wonderful influence and role model for me.  and if that wasn't enough, i was blessed with a mother-in-law who has always accepted me, from the first time we met over shots of absinthe, and who has always has a listening ear for me and is one of the most fun and understanding women i know.  i was also lucky enough to get a step-mother-in-law, who isn't afraid to share her advice with me when i need it most and has shown me how to be a wonderful hostess.








and, of course, i have some pretty amazing new mothers to be around.  i am always so amazed at how they have all figured things out and make it all look so easy. 



 

 now, i don't want to put a downer on mother's day, but today [as almost any day] makes me think of the babies we've lost.  we've had two miscarriages since last mother's day, and i can't help but think a little bit of what this mother's day would be like if we hadn't had those experiences.  mother's day can be hard for those of us who have recently lost pregnancies, and those who are having a very difficult time on their road to motherhood.  but remember - we can all get there.  the roads we all take may be different, but we can all get to the same place... motherhood.

now go hug a mom [or eight] in your life and be thankful for all these strong, inspirational women! 

til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment