24 October 2011

high high #1

wahoo!  new series!  like most little kids, around the dinner table my brother and i would talk about our days at school to our mom and dad.  my mom, being the awesome outside-the-box mom that she is, came up with one question that everyone at the dinner table had to answer.

‘what was your high high?’

meaning, of everything you did that day (or maybe that week if we hadn’t all sat down to dinner together in a few days), what was the absolute best?  i thought it would be fun to start sharing my high-highs.  it probably won’t be every day, but that’s ok.  we’ll start today.

high-high #1: ‘brand new shoes’

no, i didn’t get to go shoe shopping today.  i did however finally crawl out from under that rock i’ve apparently been living under and discovered she & him.  i had heard of them before, but on saturday while i was getting dressed for the wedding i needed something jazzy to listen to, and finally downloaded two of their albums (vol. 1 & vol. 2).  amazing.  zooey deschanel has joined the ranks of women i would be gay for (including rachel maddow and mandy moore).  so anyway, i had my new favorite artist on shuffle this morning while driving out to work, and this song, ‘brand new shoes,’ came on.  boy is that a damn good song.


i had some brand new shoes
they were all red but they gave me the blues
and they are runnin away, they left me a letter
it’s just like you told me it’d be
it’s nothin nothin nothin
nothin at all
we are all made of air
there’s stars in my eyes and there’s sun in my hair
and i’m runnin away, it makes me feel better
it’s just like you told me it’d be
it’s nothin nothin nothin
nothin at all
when it comes down to this
i’m neither sorry nor cross nor unfit
and i’m runnin away, there’s smoke on my sweater
it’s just like you told me it’d be
it’s nothin nothin nothin
nothin at all
i had some brand new shoes
they were all red but they gave me the blues
and they’re running away, they left me a letter
it’s just like you told me it’d be
it’s nothin nothin nothin
nothin at all
at all
at all
lovely.  i can feel an obsession with this song coming on.  and what is it about new shoes that makes you want to just run away in them (see: sia’s little black sandals).  maybe running away is just nothing at all.  sometimes i wish it were that easy :)

side note - if you want to check out zooey's awesome website it's hello giggles, on my blogroll.
but not tonight… i have a good friend over for a glass of wine.  til next time… what was your high-high?
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment