16 April 2011

10 best of spring


now that spring is finally here in colorado (i think it's safe to say that, anyway...) thought i would share with you the 10 things that are on my mind the most this time of year!  well this year, anyway.  with attention span short as mine it varies of course :)

10.  french music

if this sounds a little strange to you, i understand.  but put on eartha kitt's je cherche un homme, open the windows wide, pour yourself a glass of rose and you won't care what language it's in (think diane keaton in something's gotta give, minus the crying).  once you get a taste for it try carla bruni's album quelqu'un m'a dit for something a little folksy and flirty.  if you're home, it's hot and you want something a little sexy try makeda by les nubians.  paris combo is more classically french pop... or april march, or the fab brigitte bardot, or  madeleine peyroux... my list could go on and on!

always stunning... brigitte bardot.


9.  grapefruit everything

i gave up caffeine for new years this year, so i've become addicted to juice in the morning in lieu of my normal five cups cup of coffee.  my absolute favorite?  grapefruit juice.  no added sugars, just 90 calories for 90% of your vitamin c intake for the day, and it's MUCH more lively than plain old orange juice.  but i have taken my love of grapefruit juice and taken it well, outside the glass.  my kick-ass sister anne bought me some bath products for my birthday.  normally, that would not be super cool.  but she went to the specialized boutique where you mix your own scents - and mine was grapefruit spearmint.  it is the most amazing lotion and body wash in the world and that may or may not be my motivation for going to tennessee to visit her next month (jk anne!).  there's also jo malone grapefruit candles, creme, everything that all smell absolutely enchanting.  i can't get enough.  remember my obsession with the gin something back in boston?  



8.  leaving the front door open

because there's nothing better than the tender brush of a spring breeze against your bare arms, the smell of flowers and freshly cut grass, and the sounds of neighbors laughing outside.  it will absolutely cure any moody blues you might have.  when we moved in we installed a special iron screen front door so it could be locked securely but also get a breeze into our house (we have no a/c).  also our front door is the original front door from when the house was built (1905!), complete with stained glass and skeleton key.

even mussolini loves the open front door.



7.  tulips

i don't want to say just 'flowers' here because that's a little cliche.  although i do love spring, rejuvenation, things blossoming, etc, it's really the tulips that do it for me.  perhaps because my adorable husband is dutch, or because i've had the good fortune to actually go to the keukenhof and see all of the tulips in full bloom during spring in holland, or maybe because my wedding bouquet was all white tulips.  but they are my absolute favorite flower and they happen to grow in my front and back yards!  they are happy without being overbearing; they are unassuming and underrated.  here's a few shots of my history with tulips.

queen of night tulips @ the keukenhof, my fave

more from the keukenhof
blooming in the disaster area that is the back yard

6.  rose

philip will argue with me til the death on this one.  but i really don't care for white wine (i'm a red girl!) and so rose is the only acceptable substitute in the summertime.  the flavor is delicate and the temperature is just right.

one of my favorite roses
my other favorite rose

5.  happy hour

there's just something about springtime that makes me want to go out.  maybe it's the fact that i've been cooped up all winter watching the office and drinking hot cocoa, or the longer days.  but there's something in the air that makes me want to... drink.  outside.  with my friends.  and in our neighborhood, there are some AWESOME happy hour spots that we get the pleasure of hitting up however often our  bank accounts will let us :)

good friends + cold drinks + a good patio = springtime

4.  birds

silly.  i know.  but i love opening my eyes when it's already bright out... and listening to the birds chirping.  it reminds me of my childhood summers at our summer house in port jefferson, and those are some of the happiest memories i have.


3.  manicures and pedicures

mostly pedicures.  i have a hard time treating myself to manicures, because i'm in this phase where i feel really guilty spending money on things i could do myself.  and manicures are one of those things.  but during the spring there is nothing like getting those feet all polished up and pretty for the season.  it's feminine and makes you feel attractive - even though no one looks at those toes.

my feet circa june 2008.
and yes i do have a freckle on my left big toe.

2.  cleaning out my closet

yeah, it's a chore.  but it needs to be done.  i now have three closets in my new bedroom (sorry to brag) but it is a pain in the ass to keep them all clean and organized.  and inevitably there are always clothes to donate to my girlfriend a size smaller than me, jessica charity that i didn't wear during the past season.  also i have to throw out the shoes that i wear out, because i'm so hard on my shoes that usually by the end of the season there are at least one or two pairs that are just beyond the cobbler's shop.  and that can only mean one thing: shopping for the season ahead!  if you're not sure what to do with old pieces, check out littlemssunshine's blog for some good fashion tips.


my walk-thru closet a la carrie bradshaw :)
1.  fresh fruit

because there's nothing better than peeling a mango and devouring the whole thing standing over my sink, looking out into my blooming back yard.  nothing.


happy spring, all :)

1 comment:

  1. looove the closet! :) still, we MUST come see your place! All things on my list of to do's once Nick and I move downtown! :P We've been talking about it and are getting pretty serious.

    ReplyDelete